The Apprentices

The Apprentices
The Apprentices

Wednesday 4 December 2013

A bit about me and my apprenticeship...


Hi, my name is Greg Beaver and I am currently one of six lucky apprentices at Rathbones. I am 18 years of age (for a few more days anyway) and I am from a place called Wallasey which is on the other side of the River Mersey almost directly opposite our Liverpool office. 
Prior to starting with Rathbones I went to a school called Mosslands were I carried out both my GCSE’s and A levels.  Once I finished my A levels it was always my preferred option to get an apprenticeship so when I come across the advert for Rathbones it appealed to me straight away. I was keen to go down this route as I believe the opportunity to continue learning on both an academic and practical basis whilst in a working environment is the best career path for me.

After having been chosen from the initial applicants I had to take part in an intense week with 12 other candidates so we could prove we were suitable for one of the apprenticeships. On day one (Monday) we attended Rathbones offices to get an introduction on what the apprenticeship was about. On Tuesday and Wednesday we then had to attend Archbishop Beck Catholic Collage where we were taught presentation and interview skills (which helped a lot for the forthcoming days). The Thursday and Friday was then the most nerve racking time of the week. On Thursday I had to undertake a presentation in front of 12 members of staff at Rathbones. Then the Friday was interview day which was in front of 3 workers at Rathbones. After sitting by the phone the following Monday morning, I finally got the call which made the previous week all worthwhile as I was successful in becoming one of the six apprentices.
I am now over a month into the apprenticeship and it couldn’t be going any better (I think !!). I am continuing to learn different roles within my department (Transfers) so I hope that next month I can talk you through the many different roles that I am presently experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment